Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hi! I'm iPad.


I'm an iPad. More specifically I am a 64GB 3G iPad. But truly I am more like a being, a person, and a companion than an electronic gadget that can be defined merely by its technical specifications. I was adopted by family is first on Tuesday, May 11th at 9:05 pm. Like the birth of a baby, I arrived at an unpredictable day and time with very little notice. Family is first went to a local apple store after waiting for months for the 3G iPad to finally become available. She put her name on the list to adopt one of us. All she knew was at some point she would receive an e-mail saying I was ready for pickup and she would only have a day to come get me or I would have gone to another family.

She checked fanatically everyday with no e-mail. Every phone call to the apple store was finished with the associate saying 'you will get an e-mail when your iPad is here.' Then, on May 11th, her hubbie checked for e-mail (several times) throughout the day with the same result, no e-mail. She proceeded with her busy day. At about 8:40 pm she finally got the time to touch their mac personally. She checked for e-mail sifting through the normal everyday traffic and then she saw something….really she felt something….there it was!! The e-mail had come. I was finally ready for pick up.

She glanced at the clock and to her horror it was 8:45 pm, the e-mail had been there since 9:45 AM and the apple store in the mall closes at 9 pm. Her heart raced and she frantically put on some shoes, grabbed her purse, and ran….and I mean ran….for the car. On a good day she could leave her house and be inside the mall in about 20 minutes…but she only had 15 minutes at best. Her hubbie said she would never make it….but she knew she just had to try.

As she pulled down the driveway she called her best friend to share the good news and the freight and horror that she might not make it to the store in time. Her best friend kept her company on the phone and tried to calm her down during the drive…with no real success. She flew through the usually busy city streets and finally arrived at the mall. She whipped into the first parking spot she found and then ran to the mall entrance. As she entered the mall she saw some stores already had their gates closed and she hoped and wished that when she reached the apple store she would not find the same. But with a little magic and a lot of luck she arrived at the store at exactly 9:00 pm and the gate was partially down but not all the way.

She wisked in past the security guard and went to the first associate she saw. Completely out of breath and with a crazed, frantic look in her eye, she tried to communicate to the associate that the e-mail finally arrived. Luckily the associate seemed as excited as she did so she didn't feel like too big of a freak as he went into the back room to bring me out. At 9:05 pm the deal was done, all the papers were signed, I was adopted, and I was on my way out the door of the store and to my new home. The drive home was blissful with many phone calls spreading the news of my arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment